The enigmatic man who developed much of northeast St. Petersburg is C. Perry Snell, namesake of the area where we live. He first came to St. Petersburg in 1899 on his honeymoon with wife, Lillian Allen. Within two weeks, he made his first investment. Using money from Lillian’s inheritance, he bought the block between First and Second Avenues NE and between Beach Drive and First Street. Five years later, they moved here from Kentucky.
He went into business with three other local men to invest in and develop property. He had an interest in civic affairs and along with C. L. Straub’s vision for a beautiful waterfront, helped preserve all of the land between downtown and Coffee Pot Bayou.Read full article with historical images