The St. Petersburg Woman’s Club started on February 7, 1913 with 14 charter members, joining the Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs. Early meetings were held in many locations downtown and in 1922 a building fund was begun. The members hoped to build a club house near the waterfront.
During the Florida boom they were offered a sixty-five foot lot on Beach Drive for $55,000 and a one hundred foot lot on Fifth Avenue NE for $77,000. In 1924 they joined the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, the largest international women’s volunteer organization in the world. The club was also incorporated the same year, thereby paving the way to enable them to own property.Read full article with historical images